The club was first established as Halkyn & District Amateur Radio Society in 1997 by two local 'hams' Eddie GW3GSJ and Albert GW0IZR (both sadly now deceased) in Halkyn Cricket Club. After a few subsequent location changes it was decided to move to our current venue.
An offer by Mold Rugby Club to accommodate us was accepted with grateful thanks. Mold is the County Town for Flintshire in North East Wales and, as such, access was found to be much more convenient and the standard of accommodation was better (the ale is very good too!). Membership of our club has increased noticeably, a situation that prompted a lot of activity in the last 9 months. To foster and maintain interest for the members the following was undertaken:
- We entered our first competition (2 metres) and achieved a creditable 29th place out of 89.
- We started Morse Classes for both beginners and improvers.
- We made a bid for Lottery Grant and were successful in gaining funding for Radio Equipment and Teaching Aids in April 2005.
- Under the guidance of Eddie GW3GSJ, the first Foundation Licence Class was established with 2 pupils. Both passed the examination with flying colours and, as a result, further classes are planned in the near future.
- The club has also started a series of lectures on Radio and Electronics which have been presented by Linc Lindley GW3KFA and other members. Linc also included a series of printed notes to accompany the lectures.
- Approved RSGB Examination Centre established at Elfed High School Buckley.